Wednesday, March 31, 2021

A haunted palace in rural Bengal

Two visitors from Calcutta go to the haunted house of an evil zamindar (landlord) in rural Bengal. They come out terrified. But do they manage to survive? 

Midnapore was billed as the ‘dark district’ of West Bengal in the 1970s where no resident at its headquarters, Midnapore town, or villages, had ever known anything other than darkness.

Electric lamps lighting up cities and towns was something they had only heard of from friends.

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Spooked at a railway station in Bengal

Two visitors from Rajasthan meet an aggressive evil spirit at a desolate station in Bengal. So, how were they saved?

Begunkodor railway station in Purulia district of West Bengal, which grabbed headlines for its own eerie incidents, has been billed as one of India’s most haunted stations and remained abandoned for years.  

After staying in isolation for decades, the station’s train operations resumed only a few years ago, though with a much lower frequency.

Monday, March 22, 2021

Boy goes back to thank his teacher for IIT gift

What is so spooky in wannabe engineer Luv Kumar’s life?

Luv Kumar’s family had migrated from Bihar to Bengal in the 1980s and his father Hari was working at a jute mill in Howrah, on the outskirts of Calcutta.

Although the jute mill gave Luv’s family a place to stay, it was by no means a home. It was almost like a slum. And, even Hari was paid poorly by the mill and often found it difficult to make ends meet.

Friday, March 19, 2021

Abandoned bungalow in Lonavala

Jaibeer Panwar and family moved to a house near Pune where no one wanted to stay as people felt it was haunted. So, does the rationalist Jaibeer encounter anything paranormal?

In Lonavala near Pune, the Patros family home had grabbed eyeballs for the wrong reasons. It had been abandoned for some years (since 2009) as the current owner of the Patros bungalow was living in the United States and keen to rent it out.

But there were many tales associated with this house, forcing people to shy away from the property.

Friday, March 12, 2021

Mystery story: Boy goes back to his village home for lunch

After an unknown disease strikes, Manas returns home from the city to see his ailing mother. Does he experience anything paranormal in his village, where many were believed to have died?

Rural Bengal, in the 1960s, witnessed many famines and mystery diseases, which killed people by the thousands and this gave the grandmothers an opportunity to rustle up some spicy stories on the paranormal and relate them to their grandchildren. 

Aaturia, in 24 Parganas district, was one such village that hogged the limelight after some contagious mystery disease, which doctors were baffled about, hounded its residents.

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Haunting in the Sunderbans

Three friends Rohan, Ratul and Pabindra broke all the rules of the jungle while travelling deep inside the Sunderbans, one of the most dangerous forests in the world, which also has its fair share of horror stories. So, did they live to tell their tale?

Sunderbans, the world’s largest mangrove forest, is not only known for its majestic Bengal tiger but also has its fair share of paranormal activity tucked deep inside the jungles, especially the core area.

The forests are almost 60 per cent inside Bangladesh and the remaining 40 per cent is in West Bengal (India).

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Lost in a ‘spooky’ by-lane

Jyotsna Ghosh, a government employee in the 1970s, took a shortcut to her uncle’s house in a south Calcutta neighbourhood one evening. So, was she the victim of paranormal activity on a stretch, which people believed was haunted?

In the 1970s, electricity (especially alternating current or AC) was almost a scarce resource in the city of Calcutta, and so, when evening dawned, it turned into a City of Lanterns.

Rather than electric lamps, it was this kerosene lantern that illuminated the city — be it a bustling marketplace, the busy office stretch or even downtown Calcutta.